Date Published: December 11, 2017
Are you preparing to graduate from nursing school? Congratulations! While your nursing school courses will soon be behind you, nursing continuing education credits (nursing CEs) are on the horizon. These credits are extremely important components of keeping your license as a practicing nurse. Here’s what you need to know!
What New Nurses Need to Know about CE Requirements
- Continuing education requirements help nurses stay up to date with new practices and improve existing skills and knowledge. Why else are nursing CEs required? Find out here.
- CE requirements are unique to the state in which you hold a license. Each State Board of Nursing chooses the number of credits required for renewal.
- Be sure to understand your state’s expectations. You can see requirements by state here.
- States can require topic-specific CEs. For example, in Florida two of the required hours must be related to medication errors.
- You can receive credits online or by attending conferences.
- CE credits must be ANCC approved. If you are unsure if a credit meets these criteria, check with your State Board of Nursing.
- Some CE credits can be completed for free, others cost an average of $50.
- Be sure to keep track of your credit hours. When it comes to submitting proof of your CEs, if required by your state, you will be glad that you did.
What is one way to stay on top of your continuing education credits? Let us introduce you.
Meet NursingCE.com, a brand new resource for nurses to earn CEs in an intuitive online portal. The best part? NursingCE.com is organized in a way so that nurses can confirm their state’s CE requirements and begin earning credits in less than five clicks.
How Does It Work?
Accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), NursingCE.com, a brand of ATI Nursing Education, was built with the busy nurse in mind. Courses and assessments are organized in a nonlinear structure, meaning that you don’t have to read the course first before taking your assessment. You can dive right into the assessment and refer to the course material later.
NursingCE.com is also mobile friendly so that working nurses can earn their CEs on their smartphones or tablets during breaks, at a coffee shop, or really anywhere with an internet connection. You simply open your mobile browser and log in to start using your account.
How Do I Sign Up?
All courses and assessments are free to anyone with a NursingCE.com account, which is also free to create. Your account will never expire and you’ll never lose your data or your progress. Come back to it at any time by simply just logging into your account. Pay only when you’re ready to redeem your credits and to instantly generate your downloadable and printable certificate. Another fun fact? Your credits are good for two years.